Welcome to Window on a New World

This blog is about mental health.
Mental health is a spectrum we are all on.
We may find ourselves at different points on the spectrum throughout our lives.

The purpose of Window on a New World is to talk openly about all aspects of mental health -
professional, experiencial, personal. Acknowledging those who have or are suffering from, recovering
from, living with, or caring for someone with any aspect of mental health difficulty. It is also to
challenge stereotypes, misinformed media representation and stamp out stigma...

Monday 14 November 2011

Labels - useful or problematic?

There is debate as to whether labels are/can be useful or problematic.  Personally, I've found labels to be useful in many ways; from explaining to others what's going on for me, to receving the right treatment (some of which is only available if you have a specific diagnosis).  One label in particular was useful in helping me understand what was happening to me and why I felt a certain way. 

At the same time, I've not worn these labels with pride at any point.  They were useful on a personal level to inform me and guide me, but never to express who I was.  I never revealed them outside the therapeutic setting unless I had to.  On occassion, it helped me connect with others of the same diagnosis, but in general I lived in fear of being exposed/'outed'.  Mainly due to the unsavoury aspects of character alluded to in an array of related Google search results; stigma.  This was not something I wanted to put my name to.  Not something I wanted friends and family finding and assuming was true for me just because it was an opinion that someone, somewhere had of someone, somewhere they knew with the same diagnosis. 

Mental illnesses are not quite the same as their physical counter parts.  They cannot be seen directly and be scanned (for the most part) to detect something such as a 'break,' or a rash found and identified by referring to a photo.  Emotional pain is extremely difficult to verbalise and even harder to locate.  A label is not required for something such as a broken leg, as it is obvious.  People notice it, people sympathise, people try to help; they hold doors open and offer to carry things.  Mental illness is invisible.  People do not see it, people do not sympathise, and often do not try to understand.  Often people do not know what to do, and run away from it when we need their help the most.  We need to educate people, and tackle the taboo.  Are labels the way to go about this?  Are they ever useful?  What do you think?

4 comments:

  1. you know, that's why labels don't really matter. you're a human and you have to be treated like that. you might have a diagnosis but you keep being a human and have to be treated like that.
    for me it just gives you an idea but you have to know the whole human cause the diagnosis does not tell you everything and it might change a lot from one person to another.
    that's why for me labels don't really matter, i prefer the whole of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. exactly - a label is only a small part of the story and it's important people can see past it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think their only use is for eligibility for services to genuinely help and support someone.

    a person is a person.

    glad i found your blog.

    ReplyDelete